A full transcript of this episode is available here.
This month, Crackdown is exploring the pernicious connections between North America’s overdose crisis and the housing crisis. Next week’s show will be a full documentary. This week, Crackdown editorial board member Al Fowler tells the story of Vancouver’s infamous The Palace Hotel and the tyrannical landlord who ran the place.
- Cole, Yolande. “Vancouver non-profit group to take over two Downtown Eastside buildings.” The Georgia Straight. August 18, 2011.
- Massah, Sarah. “Bullied tenants forced to buy methadone from slumlord: claim.” CTV News Vancouver. August 19, 2011.
- Harbottle, Tyler. “Palace of Hell.” The Tyee. August 24, 2011.
- PIVOT Legal. Press Release: “Eleven more tenants come forward in Wolsey Hotel Case.” November 22, 2011.
- Fleming et al. (2019) Housing in Crisis: A qualitative study of the socio-legal contexts of residential evictions in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. International Journal of Drug Policy.
- Collins et al. (2018) Surviving the housing crisis: Social violence and the production of evictions among women who use drugs in Vancouver, Canada. Health & Place.
- Kennedy et al. (2017) Residential eviction and exposure to violence among people who inject drugs in Vancouver, Canada. International Journal of Drug Policy.
Garth Mullins is Crackdown‘s host and executive producer.
Al Fowler is this month’s lead editorial consultant.
Crackdown’s Editorial Board is: Samona Marsh, Shelda Kastor, Greg Fess, Jeff Louden, Dean Wilson, Laura Shaver, Dave Murray, Al Fowler, and Chereece Keewatin (RIP).
Crackdown is produced by Garth Mullins, Sam Fenn, Alexander Kim, Lisa Hale and Gordon Katic. Our scientific adviser is Ryan McNeil from the BC Centre on Substance Use.
The music for this episode was written by Garth Mullins, Sam Fenn, and Jacob Dryden.
Thanks to the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research for ongoing funding to Crackdown.
You can follow us on twitter @crackdownpod.
You can send us an email at email@example.com.